Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Blog Post #3

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

This video does not necessarily capture my experience since I have been at college. Some things are similar, but I think it relates more to some of my friends then to me personally. I can count on one hand the times I have had to have class in an auditorium. Most of my classes have about 25-30 students in them. My major is Health Education and I am lucky enough to have most of my professors more than once. Most of them know my name, and I feel like I do have a personal connection with them. However, I have a lot of friends with different majors and they would tell you the opposite. Most of them have classes in auditorium's a lot and their professors do not know who they are. It is frustrating to them and I can see why. I can say that I do see a lot of students using their laptops for things other than class. This is a common occurrence as well as playing with their smart phones.

When the student held up the sign about books and how much they cost I could absolutely relate. They cost so much money and a lot of the time I open them once or twice. A lot of people I know have this problem and I would love for it to change. If the course does not need a book, and the test information comes from the slides then why do professors tell us to buy the book? It really is a waste of money. Most teachers post their slides online anyway. Not very many of my teachers use a chalkboard or a standard white board. Most of them use a smart board or their power point slides. From my experience, more teachers and schools have made the switch to more technologically efficient devices in their classrooms.

"It's Not About the Technology"

I think that Kelly Hines makes some very valid points in her writing. I believe that there is more to a better education than just the switch to more technological devices. We as teachers need to have a specific goal in mind when it comes to transforming and bettering the classroom experience. Without this goal the expenses on our new resources will be a waste. They will also be a waste if we do not know how to effectively use the technology we are incorporating. I agree with Kelly Hines when she says that teachers should be learners. We should constantly be learning the new trends as well as information available in our society. By doing this we can productively teach our children in a way they will understand and enjoy.

As teachers we need to be consistently open-minded. We need to learn from our students and embrace the new culture and generation. In doing so we will have endless possibilities to learn, as will our students. When incorporating new technologies into our classroom we should use them to their fullest capacities, even if this means taking the extra time to learn how to do this. In the long run, I think this will impact the students learning in a positive manner.

Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

I think Karl Fisch makes a very interesting point in this blog. I have seen many of my friends already get turned down for a job because they are technologically illiterate. When technology is such a big part of the world that we live in, and is only growing, how can we think that it is acceptable to not grow with it? I really liked the point he made about communication. The fastest and most convenient form of communication is technology. As teachers, are we not trying to communicate different ideas to our students? We are, and we should be doing it in a way that they can relate.

Like Karl says, technology is only improving and expanding. I cannot even imagine what kind of technology will be in our world in 2020! If we cannot keep up with these new technologies it will be very difficult to find a job. Why would a school hire a teacher that cannot use the most effective ways of communication with their students? To the generation after us, these technologies will be almost common knowledge to them. We need to make them the same way for us. By doing this, communicating with our students and the ways we teach them will not suffer.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count

Gary Hayes Social Media Count made my head hurt! I could not even read half of the statistics because they were changing so frequently. Watching the numbers in his media count shoot up in just a matter of seconds should prove something to us as future educators. We need to get, and stay with the times! This means investing our own time in learning how to use these technological devices and services, and how to use them well! These numbers show us just how popular technology is and how often it is used. These numbers are not going to reduce as we further in our careers, most likely they will rise.

I think it seems overwhelming to a lot of people, including myself, because of how quickly new technologies are found. It should! This should also push us to stay on top of the game, and motivate us to improve our knowledge of the our changing world. The world does not stop developing and improving its ways, and neither should we.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Caliegh,
    I completely agree with your thoughts on Michael Wesch's video. In the video, A Vision of Students Today, I could relate to most of the topics. The textbook situation is one that I know all too well. I have been in so many classrooms where the students were asked to purchase a particular textbook and that textbook wouldn't be used a single time that entire semester. I also think that if a professor is going to give all of the information necessary on a powerpoint, or through any other media, then the students should not be told to purchase a text for that particular class. Books have become so expensive and today students can use the internet to find additional information on a topic if needed.
    On "It's Not About the Technology",you really have great ideas. I like how you put,"we as teachers need to have a specific goal in mind". We shouldn't focus on learning the technology but how we can use in our classroom to better reach our goals for our students. Teachers, I believe, do need to stay up to date on technology as much as possible. We have so many tools at our disposal that can really enhance the learning experience. Also, using technology in the classroom can prepare our students for using that same technology in college and in their careers.
    I really enjoyed reading your post Caliegh.

    Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. In regards to class size, I agree with you that South does a good job with student:teacher ratio, especially in the education department. However, I have experienced classes at the University of Hawaii where I was amongst 300 other students-- but the creative ways they used technology still kept me on target in the class. We used i-clickers, she video taped the lectures, we had field trips to different biology related professions... It was awesome. I guess it all depends on the quality of the teacher and their delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment about books is a common one. What do you think we can do to address this issue?

    "I have seen many of my friends already get turned down for a job because they are technologically illiterate." Interesting. In what fields? Where did they go to school?

    "This should also push us to stay on top of the game, and motivate us to improve our knowledge of the our changing world. The world does not stop developing and improving its ways, and neither should we." How right you are!

    ReplyDelete