Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blog Post #5

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom
This did a great job demonstrating the abilities of a podcast in schools. There were many times in high school that it would have been very useful to have a podcast. I hated missing school because when I came back I had so much work and information to catch up on. It was very stressful and a podcast would have been great!

I also played sports in high school. After school I did not have a lot of time for extra help in my classes. Sometimes I did not understand something fully and I could have used a podcast in this instance as well. I could have used it to go over the information again at my own pace, and as many times as I want. This would have been helpful and it would have saved me from a lot of anxiety.

Another thing I thought was interesting was his use of the podcast. I liked how he got the other teachers to help him read. I'm sure this made the story a lot more entertaining for the students. I would have much rather listened to a story like that in class then just my teacher reading it to me. Looking at this gave me some very good ideas for my future careers.

100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better
I had no idea you could do all of this on your iPod! There were things from learning languages, to audio lectures, to spark notes, to various quizzes, to even teacher lesson plans. It amazes me how many downloads they have to offer. The best part...you can use them wherever you are! I think this would be a great tool for a teacher to have. We can learn things ourselves from it, but we can also take things from it to use in our classroom. They have really neat study guides and quizzes for almost any subject.

One of the downloads is called GoogleGet. I think this would be really useful to both students and teachers. You can get the top news stories all the time. Your students would be informed of current events all of the time, not just while they are sitting in front of the T.V. I think this could be a very effective tool to utilize in the classroom.

Langwitches
This was very inspiring. I could tell these students enjoyed making this podcast. They were trying their best to speak clearly, and really tell the story. They did a great job. I think that this would be great to do with students to get them to work together. It is a group effort and they would learn great teamwork. Working together on a fun activity like this will bring the students closer together, and really help them stay engaged in the activity. I really liked listening to this podcast, I was very impressed!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't pick 100 ways to use your iPod to Learn and Study Better in my top 3 but it was definitely my 4th choice. I knew I could do more with my iPhone/iPod but this opened my eyes to more possibilities.

    The information I am learning through this class I am trying to use at home with my children. My oldest son is 8 and he loves looking at educational videos on YouTube but my youngest son is 2 and he loves to learn, especially through my iPhone. There are so many educational games in iTunes to teach children phonetics, vocabulary words, shapes, colors and the list goes on and on. The great thing is I don't have to worry about keeping the pieces together as one would do for board games and I don't have to worry about buying paper and pen, he has access to all of that right in front of him. My daughter is only 1 but she is curious about the iPhone. I am not sure if she just wants to eat or if she actually watching the screen but there are some apps in iTunes for her as well.

    Great JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thorough, thoughtful, well written. I am looking forward to your podcast. I hope you will make use of what you have learned from these exercises in your podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Caileigh,

    Good post! I too think that podcasts are great tools for educators to learn, but more importantly for the students to experience. I think there are a number of things that teachers could do with podcasts, and not at just young ages but at all ages.

    Good post,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete